Friday, October 30, 2009

Envy ~ Anna Godberson



Genre: Young Adult Fiction

Publisher: Harper Collins

405 pages

9780061345722

 

This review may make little sense to anyone who has not read the first two installments in Anna Godberson’s YA Luxe series. You’ve been warned.

Also, there is this: Godberson’s books fulfill, for all intents and purposes, the same place in my heart as my Friday cupcake dates with my son. We eat well all week. We go to mom and baby classes. I go to the gym and he plays on the playground. We like tofu and V8. Look here, we also like cupcakes from The Library Coffee Company.

Likewise, I am thoroughly enjoying Godberson’s little four-part series on life between the centuries in (sometimes) lavish Manhattan. It’s full of gossip and scandal and, really, I just don’t have to defend myself to you people.

Enough of this and on with the story.

For those of you have read the first two books, this, again, will make much more sense.

I didn’t realize how little I liked the second book until I finished the third. If Rumors was lacking anything, it lacked the speed and feeling that started in The Luxe and returned in Envy. I thought the series would flounder sans a few key characters from the first and second volumes but Anna managed to keep interests elsewhere.

While the same romance and intrigue abounded in the most recent book, I did find myself cringing often for the same reason I never fully loved Harry Potter: There were just too many scripted moments where I, as a reader, found myself yelling, “No! What are you thinking?!” I know it would have been far less dramatic without certain precarious situations but it did require some suspension of disbelieve in the “credulous actions” category.

All in all, though, it was a fun progression of the story. For those who have kept up with the other three books my character allegiance lies as such after this story: I adore Miss Diana, can’t stand Carolina and am bored to death by Elizabeth without Will.

No comments:

Post a Comment