Friday, October 30, 2009

BOO...as in Radley: A Literary Halloween

Robert Duvall as Boo Radley

 

 

 

 

 

-I love the book To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Forever haunted by big old creepy Boo Radley, I couldn’t overlook him or his behind-the-door presence as I thought up some spooky literary titles and images to pass on for the Halloween holiday. Keep in mind that To Kill a Mockingbird thrills much more than chills.

-If you are in it for the fun, try Brunonia Barry’s The Lace Reader. I wouldn’t call it “evocative” or “layered”, but it is perfectly fun for Halloween. Even if you are not interested, link over and see her very cool website.

-NPR puts forth a few of their choice haunted suggestions in Laura Miller’s piece, Three Hauntingly Unforgettable Literary Houses. Rebecca, The Haunting of Hill House, and House of Leaves are covered in this “houses have souls” review.

-Amazon.com’s Top-Ten-Scariest-Books carries two of the above NPR titles. Not being a reader of scary books, I might just try one of these; I am definitely intrigued.

-I haven’t read it since I was in my early teens, but The Amityville Horror plain scared the hell out of me. I couldn’t go in my basement or look at a fly the same way for years!

-Closer to home is the haunted Dream House by Valerie Laken. A graduate of the University of Michigan’s Creative Writing program, Laken’s first novel tells the story of a young couple who discover that their new historic “dream house” was the site of a domestic homicide. Laken’s novel was written after she and her husband took up residence in a similar home where a murder took place.

-The Haunted Travels of Michigan is the first book in this series written by authors Kat Tedsen and Bev Rydel. Focusing on “their investigations and research into Michigan’s most haunted locations”, this guide includes restaurants, bars, hotels and bed and breakfasts, which all claim strong paranormal activity.

* What is the scariest book you have ever read? Please feel free to comment and add your own favorite scary, creepy, eerie, or bizarre title to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment