Monday, May 4, 2009

To A Dear Friend (rough)

I sit growing roots in my chair

The rain taps the window mists

The leaves of the green dangling vine

It calls softly to our lives growing roots into the soil of my dreams

Should we follow them clinging firmly together?

Or allow ourselves to be torn from our riches by that gardener society

Put in a pot on the window sill

A pretty flower to be admired!

A diamond on the hand of a maiden who does not speak

My life is strange

I have followed my ambition

I have hacked a trail through my wild jungles of doubt

I have been met with partial success that ambition outpaces

A road paved with gold is followed by many

Paved brick by brick on the hopes of those who came before

It will not be followed by me

I refuse to die with my final rest in tombs made of ivory

My wealth is in my perception of life

Should you join me in my wild ambition I am certain we shall not fail

We voyaged in seas where waves murdered men meekly

Towards golden shores where grandchildren dwell

Smiling laughing greeting us with the sunshine of their possibility

Jeffrey M. Hopkins is the author of Broken Under Interrogation.  He has been thinking much about life in recent years following his two deployments to Iraq.  Broken Under Interrogation is available on Amazon.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment