Saturday, May 9, 2009

Pure by Terra Elan McVoy

 Title: Pure

Author: Terra Elan McVoy

Rating: 7.5/10

Good If… You’re looking for a good Christian-based book.

Summary (Taken from Amazon):

Tabitha and her four best friends all wear Purity Rings, symbols of the virginity-until-marriage pledge they made as tweens. Now the girls are fifteen, and their rings have come to symbolize not only their purity, but also the friendships and identities they’ve built based on their shared faith. Simmering tensions rise to the surface and the group is split apart when one of Tab’s friends admits that she and her long-term boyfriend have broken the pledge. In the midst of the confrontations, betrayals, confessions, and revenge that follow, each girl is forced to reexamine her friendships, her faith, and what exactly it means to be pure.

My Thoughts:  I can sum up this book in one word – cute. That’s really it. Pure is a cute novel, realistic at times, preachy at others, and the characters really didn’t offer that much to keep me interested.

At first, I was really intrigued by the idea of the book. Purity rings aren’t something I see in my personal future but I respect those who wear them and was looking forward to seeing how broken promises were handled. But a few chapters in, all of the characters except for Tabitha seemed to melt together. A few times I found myself going back a few pages to remember which character was which and who was friends with who.

The one thing I really did like was how Tabitha managed to handle everything that was thrown at her. She did it in a really realistic way and I could see myself handling it similarly.

Other than that… It’s not that the book wasn’t good, it’s just that it didn’t connect with me at all. The writing was done nicely but it didn’t drag me in. The plot was original but I felt that at some points it was a little preachy. Of course, if you are big into the Bible or don’t mind reading about it, that probably wouldn’t bother you.

I can’t say that I really recommend this one but if you think it looks interesting, then you might want to give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment