Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Book Review - Getting Fired for the Glory of God - Mike Yaconelli

This book is a collection of the writings of Mike Yaconelli, founder of Youth Specialities (youth ministry resource place) and veteran youth minister.  It is a collection of some of his writings that were in YouthWorkers Journal.  His writings are directed towards youth ministers and the challenges, heartache, joys, and triumphs of that profession.  He has seen the good and the bad of the church, and he offers his opinion on them.   Yaconelli speaks with a prophetic voice as he challenges and encourages youth ministers – by lifting up the specialness of their calling and the grace of God that washes over their lives.   

I love what Yaconelli has to say here and in his other books (Messy Spirituality and Dangerous Wonder).  His writings have been core components of my theology and the way that I see the church and faith.  Even though they are written to youth ministers, this book will bring powerful words of grace and life into the life of anyone who reads it.  As a pastor, I would love to walk around with this book in my back pocket.  It would remind me that my main job as a pastor is to nurture my relationship with Jesus – before all else.  It would remind me that there is nothing that I can accomplish that can gain me more of God’s favor.  It would remind me of the oddness of the group of people known as the church and help me to laugh a little at the quirkiness of the God’s body.  It would remind me that relationships are more important than programs.  It would remind me that Jesus is not interested in the status quo.  It would remind me that Jesus is not into numbers or bigness.  It would remind me that Jesus has a sense of humor, and I should stop taking things so seriously.  It would remind me that Jesus is the Savior of the world, not me.   

I give major props to my mother-in-law for sending this book down to Texas to me.  It is a deep breath of grace that is good for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment