Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Book Review: Hornby's Spree

Book Review of Polysyllabic Spree

Author: Nick Horby



“To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations - such is a pleasure beyond compare.”

~Kenko Yoshida

I was thinking of reviewing a film (like Wolverine) or a song today, but I decided to review another book today by a British Writer—Nick Hornby. Ah yes, another book. I am into books and I am a diagnosed Bibliophile.

I discovered Hornby through my sister. She bought Polysyllabic Spree but hadn’t gotten the chance to read it. I found it on her shelf in one of my random visits to her room and decided to read this piece of Non-fiction. I have read most (if not all) of Hornby’s fiction, reading his non-fiction was a first.

This book is a compilation of Nick Horby’s column in the Believer for a period of 18 months. It’s a book review column, but I have not read anything as relatable, convincing, funny and objective review in my entire life. He made book reviews sound a little less elitist as they usually are. He doesn’t make claims of being good in making reviews; he makes an honest claim on how he chooses his books and what makes them good for him. He doesn’t make hasty generalizations on whether a book is bad or good, he tells you why HE THINKS it is so.

He made me laugh with his random side comments on the editors of the magazine; also he shares with you snippets of his life when he was reading a particular book. This somewhat candid writing draws the reader in and makes you forget you are reading a piece of non-fiction that attempts to review books.

This book is for all those bibliophiles…it is worth reading from cover to cover; and it gives you an idea to what other books are out there (if by some weird chance you haven’t heard of it). After reading this book, I had a sudden urge to read all of Charles Dickens work (less Pickwick Papers). Hornby calls David Copperfield as comfort reading. Also, the books include excerpts of some of the books he read and gives you a taste of the novels he reviewed.

Well, don’t just take my word. Read it. It offers a good analysis of the books and a little more.

Check amazon for a copy. And for another perspective or review check this and this.

Until Tomorrow, see yah.

No comments:

Post a Comment