Thursday, May 28, 2009

Oh to be so stylish

I am so behind the eight ball on this post, I have had it on my to-do list for ages, so slack *slaps wrist*.  Nina Garcia is renowned for her sense of style, I tend to think that style is something you either have or just don’t and Nina Garcia has it.  She is the Fashion Director at Marie Claire but spent 13 years with Elle Magazine and has been a formidable judge on Project Runway, even her name is stylish don’t you think?

Her first book, ‘The Little Black Book of Style‘ came out in 2007, I had to have it immediately.  The illustrations were created by Reuben Toledo and are so whimsical and perfectly match her tone and style.  Her goal is to inspire you to be your own muse although she does advocate being inspired by others.

As an extension to this book, Nina released ‘The One Hundred … A Guide to The Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own‘, once again illustrated by the talented Reuben Toledo.

With her style philosophy firmly out in the world, Nina decided to address the most popular question readers consistently ask her: Exactly what are fashion’s timeless pieces?

The One Hundred answers this question and provides women with a tangible style map to follow when planning a shopping trip and stocking one’s closet. With illustrations from world-renowned fashion illustrator Ruben Toledo, The One Hundred contains the 100 items that Nina believes will never go out of style, and that have become absolutely indispensable for any woman reaching for her own eternal fashion look. (HarperCollins)

I asked the ever stylish and so delightful Marian Sims, Editor of Karen Magazine and Karen Mag Blog to share her must have pieces from her wardrobe:

  • Silk scarves sarongs and throws – these are essential and I love Louis Vuitton and Herringbone
  • Two pairs of great fitting jeans – one suitable for work and one for play ( as if I can limit it to two LOL ); Earl Jeans are a favourite
  • My Armani black blazer – it makes me look ready for anything
  • My crush proof Issey Miyake navy skirt – love love love navy – it is so much softer and richer than black
  • A great cossie – Jets does very flattering ones and Zimmerman very fancy ones – one piece this season for me
  • Seriously great underwear everyday – glam correctional fun flirty you name it – every woman all the time; love La Perla, Simone Perele, Triumph for the hard working ones and Pleasure State
  • The little black dress – yes I have a whole range of black dresses I adore wearing, right now I love Josh Goot, Willow and Jaclin Chouchana
  • Knits – I like merino and cashmere everything am loving Standard issue from NZ & Chronicles of Never, jumpers, cardigans, trackies, coats, thermals, as well as summer knits – cotton Lycra Ts – love Velvet and C&C.
  • I have loads of shoes  but I particularly favour shoes I can stand in all day – RM Williams custom made boots, 2 inch heels by the now defunct Charles Jordan, Bally Trainers, Birkinstock patent thongs for summer
  • And pretty dresses that make you look and feel incredible – in colours that transform you into a goddess for the beach (resort style), a wedding,  party,  date or holiday.

Shop Til You Drop magazine also put together a list for us of the top 45 essential items we should have in our Aussie wardrobes.  Havaianas‘ are definitely on my list of must have wardrobe staples as well as trackies, hoodies, a sexy top, jeans, killer heels, ballet flats, Peter Alexander PJ’s, a sexy dress and a maxi-dress and scarf or wrap.  As you can see I’m a bit of a casual gal.

The One Hundred is not only limited to fashion and the essential items, it includes beauty items, everything from lipstick shades to perfumes.  I can’t go there, ’cause I think my beauty products would count up to 100 on their own.  She even has a Blackberry on her list, I wonder if she would change that to be an iPhone now? And an umbrella makes on the list, and to get the most stylish brolly going round right now, get into David Jones and purchase ModelCo products to get your free black & pink frilly brolly.

So use Nina’s book to make a list of what you’re missing from your wardrobe and hit the shops to start creating that perfectly stylish wardrobe we all aspire to have.

Keep stylish lovelies.

Love,

Sassi

Your Pop Culture Gossip Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment