Sunday, May 3, 2009

In Praise of Love and Youth (rough)

Hear their sweet voices whispering the silence of heavens

Faces light in the dark mines of memories

Diamonds and rubies gleam in time passed

Lovers lay in sweet embrace

All turned to dust in the furies of my lust and wandering youth

I oft ask would I have slowed my pace for you

Been surrounded with the fruits of our shared love

Loving you with wrinkles and arthritis and gout

Now young and beautiful in life’s fullness

An old man bent and broken I shall be

Would I see this, my love again with mine eyes

So I may hold her like the time with no end

Worshiping as a mortal at her temple, divine immortality

For an old man bent and broken I shall be

Jeffrey M. Hopkins is the author of Broken Under Interrogation, a book about neither youth nor love.  It is a book about war and the price of coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment