Friday, December 11, 2009

What I'm Reading, 12/09

Two books I’ve recently finished are Sight Unseen: Science, UFO Invisibility and Transgenic Beings by Budd Hopkins and Carol Rainey and Walking Through Walls by Philip Smith. Both books are about different areas of the paranormal, but they have something else in common which is dear to my heart: the authors are artists and also deeply interested in anomalous events (just like me :-) ). It seems that having those interests in common are far from unusual.

Carol Rainey

In Sight Unseen, Hopkins (also a painter) and Rainey (also a filmmaker) explore some truly bizarre experiences a variety of people have had with purported aliens and hybrid alien/humans (transgenic beings). Budd Hopkins has spent many years researching the abduction phenomena and Carol Rainey adds much insight in terms of possible scientific theories which might explain some of the experiences. The story which stayed with me was that of “Mr. Paige”, an odd but gentle individual that came to stay with a family and had an unusual relationship with a child of that family. Was he not human? Hard to say, but very intriguing. I’ve been aware of very odd persons without auras, but are they aliens or transgenic beings? I believe that Jacques Vallee also made mention of Mr. Paige in one of his books.

Budd Hopkins

Walking Through Walls is the story of interior decorator/psychic healer Lew Smith from the perspective of his son Philip Smith, a painter. It gives a window into the world of a child and teenager growing up in Florida with a parent who is immersed in the paranormal. Smith’s writing style is breezy and sometimes very humorous. Especially valuable to me was his description of a session with spiritualist/psychic Sophie Busch. My grandmother often mentioned having gone to see Sophie Busch on several occasions but I hadn’t read of her in the literature before. Smith’s description added an extra dimension to my memories of my grandmother’s experiences as told to me.

Both books demand that the reader suspend disbelief and have an open mind. I think they are both worthwhile to be read by individuals who have a strong interest in the paranormal.

Lew & Philip Smith (at Coral Castle?)

Related websites:

Philip Smith:  http://www.walkingthroughwallsthebook.com/

Budd Hopkins: http://www.intrudersfoundation.org/

Carol Rainey (under construction):  http://www.carolrainey.com/

[Via http://fahrusha.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment