Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Latecomer's Thoughts: Harry Potter

When the first Harry Potter book hit the stores, I heard raves from family members, friends and even complete strangers. I had no interest. I’m not sure why. It just didn’t appeal to me, based on what little information I knew about it.

Mostly, I knew there was a nerdy-looking little boy on the cover, it was about sorcery and a lot of fundamentalist Christian groups didn’t like it because it was about people doing magic, which of course was going to initiate all the little children into the world of devil worship. Those devil-worshippers sure hide well, don’t they?

Anyway, I managed to ignore the phenomenon. I didn’t even get stuck seeing the movies, even once Emma got interested in the series. Somehow, she always ended up going to the movies with other people (wish I could say the same about the Twilight movies).

But over the years, I’ve caught bits and pieces of the movies and even found myself enjoying them. Writers I trust and admire have sung the glowing praises of author J.K. Rowlings’ talent. I’ve been told that the movies very closely follow the books. Emma, of course, owns the first five movies (the sixth just came out on DVD), so I made a decision to watch them all, finally, all these years later.

Over the past two weekends, that’s exactly what I did. All five. And all I can say is that I am impressed. I can’t wait to see the sixth movie. I will probably see the last two in the theater. And, one of these days, I’ll even tackle the books.

[Via http://lifeissweet16.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment