Saturday, August 22, 2009

Security Strips -

I noticed that last night someone used the search engine term “security strips” to find one of my posts. 

I had a past post where I talk about how discouraging it is when I find the security strip removed from a book on the floor.  We lost several books at the end of the school year this way.  I know, because I have gone through the Fiction collection and reorganized….Why is so hard to find student help that can alphabetize? 

Believe it or not, I managed to alphabetize and still work”Registration Hell.” 

I hate to say that my student helpers are telling their friends how the books are “armed” and then their friends remove the security strip and steal a book from the library.  But after finishing the Fiction section, there are too many books missing, to think otherwise.  I hope the culprits have not been my student helpers. 

I hate it when they steal the first copy in a series…obviously I hate that they think it’s okay to steal a book period.  At least if I have the first book a series, a student can get started reading while I arrange the purchase of the missing book.  I’ll be going out this week to replace several copies that are gone, using my own money.  It is sad when students come to the desk because the book they are looking for has been stolen.  

This year, even if I have to stay late, I will put the security strips in the books.  I have noticed that some of the student help put the security strips in the back of the books where it is easy to find.  Not this year.  I have to say that there isn’t a good place to insert the strip in Manga books (graphic novels). 

I know what you’re saying…”Hey Mrs. Hot…we thought that this post was going to have book reviews!” 

Well, my friends, it does.  Here they are: 

“My Top Picks for Books Needing More Security”.  MTPBNMS…

Not a great acronym, is it?  I’ll work on that. 

 

 

 My first recommendation is Swoon written by Nina Malkin.  I predict that I will need a sign up sheet for this ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers.  This book gave me the feeling of New England in the fall, kind of an Ichabod Crane meets the 21st century.  The plot revolves around three characters, Dice, Penn and Sin. 

The text is rich, bringing to mind very colorful images.  It was hard to put down.  I think my students who will check out New Moon again, while they wait for the movie will be reading this one too. 

There’s a bit of a love triangle and many discussions of sex.  It is not a book for middle schoolers.  11th grade and up. 

I have attached a link to a video from the publishing company. 

   

My second place must read is Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

To say that I loved this book would be an understatement. 

I know my students are going to love it too.  I will need to pick up a few more copies of this by next week.   

The two main characters are Grace and Sam.  Sam saved Grace when she was a young child.  Now it is up to Grace to save Sam, but can she?  I was prepared to not have an “emotionally satisfying ending” but the twist surprised me. 

  http://www.expandedbooks.com/video/view/498

This was by far my favorite of these three. 

I picked up for the cover art alone.  Isn’t it gorgeous

The story may sound remotely familiar….girl sent to live with her grandmother…no not outside Seattle…on the other side of the continental US…Maine.  Need circles around Zara, Nick, Ian and Zara’s quirky new friends…and a stranger who leaves behind a trail of gold dust.  

 

[Via http://hotlibrarytech.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment