Monday, August 24, 2009

Book Review: The Expanded Bible

New Testament The [Expanded] Bible

Thomas Nelson Publishers

The Expanded Bible is not an entirely new translation. The text is a modification of The New Century Version. It leans toward a dynamic, or functional, equivalence in its translation. This means that there are some instances in which the translators decided on the meaning of the text for the reader instead of translating and leaving it to the reader to decide. At the same time, however, the text is made very readable.

What is nice about The Expanded Bible is its expansion. Inserted into the text are explanatory words and notes, a literal reading, alternate readings, as well as traditional readings. All of these are given for the purpose of helping the reader understand the Bible. I do believe that it does go a long way toward achieving its purpose.

I must say that I was more impressed with The Expanded Bible than I expected to be. I actually like it quite a bit.

The one drawback that I see is that the text is simply too busy. The expansions that are intended to help the reader understand the text actually get in the way. The attempt to help the reader to get beyond this by making the main text bold does seem to help.

I can give this a five star rating with ease.

[Via http://pastoralmusings.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment