Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Advice For The Wayward Biographer

Why should a biographer listen to my advice?  Because I am your prime demographic.  I ran through my reading list for ‘08 and counted 34 biographies and autobiographies, so ignore me at your peril.

If you are a biographer I know immediately if you are a sloppy or lazy researcher.  I know when the editor has not cleaned up the book.  I know when the book is too long.  I know when you still do not have a map of the person or time or place.  So here is my advice, read Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers: The Story Of Success.

Yes, I know that pat therories explaining life are best picked up when wearing protective gloves, but the book can set you thinking about your subject being at the right age to take advantage of opportunities beyond his control.  Being born in a generation that harvests what has never grown before recognizes  macro opportunities that only become clear in long perspective which should be your ace.  Being born to a family and cultural heritage that focuses on advancement and success, and a family that  makes extraordinary resources available is a powerful engine of motivation.  Building the magical ten thousand hours of training and education is not something an individual can ever do on his own.  So much for the self-made man.

Gladwell defines outliers as those individuals who combine talent and brains with fortunate opportunities to become achievers beyond normal or outstanding expectations.  He does not deny the importance of the individual; however, he insists the individual is not the full explanation, and wants top billing given to factors of time, place, family, location, culture, economic opportunity, and national events.

I would have enjoyed a chapter on material he found could not be used to support his case.  Authors who write ex cathedra often suffer from the infaillibility virus, and always assume no reader will notice.  Too bad.  I would have readily read another chapter speculating on why not all life stories fit his theory.  A little intellectual honesty and openness can cover a multitude of sins.  Charles Marlin

No comments:

Post a Comment