Monday, November 2, 2009

The Corn Is as High ....

Lord, but it was a beautiful day here in God’s country!  I almost broke into song walking over to the library, but I caught myself in time.  First of all, there wasn’t a single stalk of corn in sight, let alone one as high as an elephant’s eye; and second of all, I don’t really sing that well anymore.  But it’s hard not to feel inspired when the sky is blue like a robin’s egg, and the sunlight splashes everything in burnished gold, which seems to be the color sunlight gets at the end of the year.  The live oaks dappled the sidewalks in shade.  Usually, I’m in a hurry to get to the library and back–has to do with that segment of the time-space continuum known as the lunch hour.  Today I wouldn’t have minded if the library were a couple miles farther away, lunch hour be hanged.

If I had world enough and time ….  That’s not original, by the way.

I picked up a couple of adventure stories to read while I’m on my exercise bike.  (I’ve run through all the Kemprecos I have at the moment.  I’m fixing to order a couple more.)  I like a good mystery/action/thriller for exercise bike riding.  You get caught up in a plot where your hero’s in danger, you’re going to ride faster … burn more calories.  Plus, you lose track of time.  That’s always a plus when you’re riding like blue blazes and not getting anywhere.  I tried reading weightier tomes whilst riding–I do like weightier tomes, you know–but it’s hard to concentrate on complex arguments or poetry when you’re huffing and puffing and dripping with sweat.  (Not a pretty picture, I admit, but in the interest of accuracy ….)  Besides, what with the world the way it is, there’s a lot to be said for entertainment and books where the good guy always wins.

Now where was I?  Oh, yeah … coming back from the library with an armload of books.  Today’s haul includes one author I’m familiar with, Vince Flynn, and a new one I’m trying out for the first time, Olen Steinhauer.  (With a name like that, I’m expecting big things from Olen.)  I look forward to diving into Mitch Rapp’s latest adventure tonight.  Hmm.  Maybe diving isn’t the best choice of words, given the fact that I’ll be balanced on that bike, holding onto a book instead of the handlebars.  Well, you get the idea.

You know, it occurs to me, I’ve written about bike books twice in a row.  I sure don’t want to be redundant.  Maybe next time, I’ll tell you about bathtub books.

No comments:

Post a Comment