Saturday, July 25, 2009

Lipstick Apology by Jennifer Jabaley

Title: Lipstick Apology

Author: Jennifer Jabaley

Rating: 7/10

Summary: (Taken from Amazon)

Sometimes a good-bye is just the beginning…

When Emily Carson’s parents die in a plane crash, she’s left with nothing but her mother’s last words scrawled in lipstick on a tray table: “Emily, please forgive me.”

Now it’s fall and Emily moves to New York City— where she attracts the attention of two very different boys: the cute, popular Owen, and her quirky chemistry partner, Anthony. With the help of some surprising new friends, Emily must choose between the boy who helps her forget and the one who encourages her to remember, and ultimately heal.

Debut author Jennifer Jabaley has written a wonderful, feel-good romantic comedy with real emotional depth. Full of lovably wacky characters, Lipstick Apology is a heartwarming story about the true meaning of forgiveness.

My Thoughts: This is another one of those “meh” books. It’s neutral. I didn’t love it but I didn’t hate it.

The plot was definitely the strong point of the novel. It was original and it had a ton of potential.

The characters, while there was a unique set of them, fell flat. I didn’t feel like I knew any of them, there was little emotional connection, and some of their actions just seemed so random. For example, Emily’s outbursts. I understand that she had just lost her parents and was therefore having some emotional problems but the things she did were so…random. They were just there. I think if there had been a little more focus on the emotional reasoning behind it, it would have been so much more relatable.

I did really enjoy certain characters – Anthony and the one girl she befriends before a party (I completely forget her name now. Sorry.) because they were at least a little relatable and fun to read about it.

I felt the romance was also well done and her actions there were realistic.

Overall, I was disappointed by this novel but it definitely has redeeming qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment