Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Host, by Stephanie Meyer

OK, I needed a quick read, and Stephanie gave that to me.  She has a knack for writing conversations that flow, and for description that paints a vivid image in my mind.  She writes love stories that aren’t mushy, with characters that are somewhat complex.  I got caught up in this novel and couldn’t put it down.  Although my two sons cannot stomach the Meyer novels (yes, I guess they’re chick books), and my husband won’t consider reading them, I find them to be refreshing, touching, and they even leave me with a sense of hope.  This novel is about an alien race of Souls, Healers, and Seekers who invade planets by taking over the minds of their “hosts”.  Contrary to what one might think from the sound of this, they are a peaceful species.  They felt that humans “deserved” to be taken over since they were angry, violent, and destructive as evidenced by their media of all sorts.  This novel is the path of enlightenment for one of these Souls in her quest to understand the human frailty. It is about acceptance, goodness, unity, trust, and truly…all things good.  Not realistic, no.  But what’s so great about reality?  I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to other women/girls (or open minded men who don’t laugh at Twilight and Harry Potter) who are looking for a fast, well written read.  I liken it to a Harry Potter book.  Not incredibly great literature, but entertaining reading.

For more information, check out the Stephanie Meyer website…there’s an exerpt…http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/thehost.html

No comments:

Post a Comment