Sunday, April 5, 2009

Transitioning to raw foods

Since I find myself transitioning to raw foods again I thought it would be a good time to talk about it.

Some like to jump in head first and go straight to eating 100% RAW.  Some like to slowly up their percentages of raw foods over a time.  I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to go about it as long as you listen to your body and follow its lead.  I find for me that the detox effects are less the slower I go.

When I first decided to try out raw foods the only book I had read on the subject was Natalia Rose’s book The Raw Food Detox Diet.  I followed her plan of a slow transition and really liked it.  What I loved most about her approach is there was no perfect standard and she made it seem easy.  The fact that her recipes are very tasty helped out too.  I always suggest this book for those that express an interest in eating raw foods.  She includes a lot of cooked transition recipes.

Having tasty, fast and simple foods to grab and eat help tremendously.  A well stocked pantry and refrigerator keep me grabbing something processed.  I like to eat fruit throughout the morning and then have a salad, sprouted grain sandwich, or veggie wrap for lunch.  Dinner is usually a cooked vegan meal.  It helps me to stay away from dairy, wheat and soy while I’m transitioning.

Menu: (I wasn’t very hungry yesterday so I had a very light food day.  I had pasta and white bread the day before which slowed down my digestive track immensely.)

Breakfast: banana, orange, handful of sunflower seeds and cashew mix.

Lunch: avocado

Dinner: baked sweet potato, steamed vegetable mix

No comments:

Post a Comment