Wednesday, April 8, 2009

<i>One Hundred Years of Solitude</i> by Gabriel García Márquez

I absolutely loved this book, which surprised me.  Last year, I tried reading The Autumn of the Patriarch, but couldn’t get into it.  However, I tumbled into One Hundred Years of Solitude with no effort.  It was all so real.  Even the parts that you knew were complete and utter nonsense, Remedios the Beauty, for example, you found yourself almost believing it.  Something tells me that Señor García Márquez would be an excellent poker player.

This book is a fascinating read.  A rich feast for the imagination.  While reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, I spent a wonderful few days, and about hundred years, is Macondo.  It was a glorious, memorable vacation from reality.  I could almost see the ghosts of Melquíades and José Arcadio Buendía drift around the room in front of me.  I am definitely giving Señor García Márquez’s other books a try.  If you have not read one yet, I heartily recommend you start with this one.

Rating:  5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment